My Crappy Camera Challenge

Just a few weeks ago, my beloved Canon DSLR died. I guess these things happen, but of course it was unexpected. I'll admit it... I've been moping around here like I lost a pet. Product photography plays a big part in successful listings (and sales) of handmade items- it's a fact. How am I ever going to capture creative and good quality photos with my old HP Photosmart M447? Seriously, the HP camera has been crammed in my junk drawer for well over a year now- it sports a tan paint job from the day that my youngest managed to spill an ENTIRE gallon of paint. It's not pretty- but it still works. I decided to challenge myself. I can't remember it- but I know there was life before my Canon camera. I took good pictures then... I should still be able to now. After all, cameras don't take pictures, photographers do. Cameras are just another artistic tool.

I really love changing up the perspective and getting up close- I think that it adds depth and texture to the photos making them a little more interesting. Above you can see my failed attempt- because I am using the 'crappy' camera with automatic settings it was not allowing me to focus so close up. Even after I changed to the Close Up shooting mode [menu->shooting modes->] I found myself growing frustrated. Then it dawned on me maybe I could trick the camera?!

First, point the camera straight at the object of interest bringing it into sharp focus. Then, half-press the shutter button. The camera will focus on the said object. When the camera is focused, the screen shows green brackets as opposed to red ones. Red brackets are not our friends. Now, keeping that button half-pressed (if you take your finger off the camera will just re-focus when you press the button again) slowly readjust your point of view and NOW press the button the rest of the way down.
 Heres a similar shot done using the technique above- I edited using picnik to lighten the background but you could also use an app like Fotofuze.
 Some other photos taken with the crappy camera, and photoshop is my friend.

Keep an eye out for more of my crappy camera challenge, and if you have any questions please let me know- I'll be sure to answer them (if I can) before retiring this thing to the back of the drawer.

Comments

Popular Posts